Part of the Great Wars Trail
Rollo Gillespie Monument
Rollo Gillespie Monument was built ot commemorate the bravery of Major General Robert 'Rollo' Gillespie born in the town in 1766. A list of his battles can be found on the sides of the pillar. Whilst leading an attack on a fort, highin the Himalayas, Gillespie went on despite having no ammunition shouting "one more shot for the honour of Down".
Comber War Memorial
The idea of a War Memorial for Comber was raised in 1919. One early suggestion was that it should take the form of a house for the District Nurse situated in grounds sufficient to permit a cottage hospital to be attached at a later date. This proposal was later rejected due to the wishes of relatives of the dead who wanted a Monument erected in the Square.
Comber & District War Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 14th April 1923 at 3PM. All businesses in the town closed, and local ex-servicemen paraded to the Square headed by Comber Amateur Flute Band. A large crowd gathered and, despite a heavy downpour, remained until the end of the ceremony. The unveiling was carried out by Mrs L.A. Hind (sister of the future Prime Minister John Miller Andrews), whose husband had been killed at the Somme in 1916. John Miller Andrews read out the names of the fallen, while the prayer of dedication was offered by Canon Charles Campbell Manning, until recently rector of St Mary's Parish Church in Comber, and who had served as a chaplain to the Forces in France where he won the Military Cross. Floral tributes were placed at the foot of the Memorial by relatives of the dead.
426 names of men who served in the Great War were included on the Memorial, including a panel of 79 who lost their lives. These included the three Donaldson Brothers, killed side by side at the Somme; also Comber's VC winner Edmund de Wind; and George James Bruce who had led a contingent of recruits out of Comber to Clandeboye Camp in 1914.
A captured German field gun was presented to the town in honour of the late Edmund de Wind VC. This sat in the Square until August 1940 when it was removed for scrap metal to help the war effort during the Second World War.
In 1952 Memorial Gardens were laid out in Comber Square in memory of those who fought and died in the Second World War. Comber's War Memorial was included within these gardens.