The ruins of a late 15th and early 17th century church set in beautiful surroundings
The old church is of two periods, the late 15th and early 17th centuries. It replaced Nendrum in the late 15th century as the parish church site and, unusually for Ireland, burial was transferred to the new site and Nendrum was abandoned. The 15th century church had a west door, but the main visible features are from the 17th century when the building was ‘modernised’. The handsome south door in red Castle Espie limestone is dated 1639 and from the same period are the windows (all grooved for glass), a two light east window and three others, the one left of the door surviving particularly well.
Directions: On the Tullynakill Rd, off the Comber to Balloo road, south of the townland of Ballydrain. Parking can be found on a lay-by on the main road. Entrance is by a narrow, gravel path leading up to the wall and gate.