St John’s Church, within walking distance of the Fort
The church of St John Baptist, Fort Road, Helen’s Bay, and just a short distance from Grey Point Fort, has an unusually rich number of memorials to members of the congregation who served in the Great War:
- A historic memorial painting / roll of honour by Belfast art student John Charley in 1919 in the entrance porch,
- The brass plaque on the north wall commemorating five who gave their lives in the War,
- The magnificent brass lectern given in memory of Sub-Lieutenant Patrick Vance who died at the Battle of Jutland,
- The credence table (in the sanctuary) provided in 1919 commemorating eight officers who had served or trained with the Artillery at Grey Point Fort and subsequently gave their lives,
- The east window (completed in 1925) commemorating Captain Harold Hardy who was killed in action in April 1918.
In addition, a brass plate on the sill of the west window provides a generic dedication: "To the Glory of God and in grateful commemoration of the devotion and courage of the men and women of the Parish of Glencraig who volunteered and served in the two Great Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945."
There is also a brass memorial to Lieutenant Terence Sharman Crawford who was killed in an accident at Aldershot in 1913, and to the two historic flags which pre-date the War and which are associated with the Ulster Volunteer Force.