Part of the Great Wars Trail
The remains of the ship can be seen in low tide in Ballyhenry Bay in Strangford Lough, near Portaferry.
Built in 1923 the Italian vessle was captured by the Allies in 1943 and was used as part of the Goosberry Breakwater on the British “Sword” Beach in Normandy on D-day 6th June 1944.
Following the conflict the ship was purchased by the John Lee Breakers Yard but whilst on its way to the yard she struck a rock and sank.
*NB These are external sites. All content is independent and does not reflect the views or opinions of Ards and North Down Borough Council