This ruined Tower House commands a position at the north end of Mahee Island in Strangford Lough

Mahee Castle, also known as Nendrum Castle, is a small ruined tower house near Nendrum Monastery on Mahee Island in Strangford Lough. It is thought to have been built in 1570 by Captain Thomas Browne. It was abandoned by the early 17th century, and fell into disrepair. In 1923, H.C. Lawlor and the Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society partly renovated the tower house to avoid further erosion and built a buttress wall to support the northwest corner of the tower.

Please drive beyond the castle, park at Nendrum car park and walk the short distance back. 

Opening Times

  • Accessible at all times

Prices

  • Free

Contact Details

  • Address Mahee Castle Mahee Island Comber Co.Down BT23 6EP
  • Telephone 028 9182 6846
  • Email Ards VIC
Don't Miss Out!

Be first to know about new things to see and do in and around Ards & North Down.