A proud standing tower set in the beautiful Clandeboye Estate, also available to stay in
Helens, tower, Clandeboye Estate, Clandeboye, Irish Landmark, Land Mark, self catering, propose, romantic, valentines
Helen’s Tower was designed in 1848 by William Burn in the Scottish style and construction was completed in October 1861. It was part of an ambitious landscape project by Lord Dufferin covering the five miles between it and the coast at Helen’s Bay. The tower was named in honour of his mother Helen Selina Sheridan, who was a grand daughter of Richard Brinsley Sheridan, the great Irish playwright, orator and politician.
It was built as an idyllic retreat and poems were written in its honour by Tennyson, Kipling, Argyll and other luminaries of the nineteenth century literary world.
Helen’s Tower is available for holiday letting as part of Irish Landmark Trust’s portfolio of restored properties. It certainly makes for a romantic spot, or simply a quiet getaway (Adults only letting).
Helen's Tower is located within the grounds of Clandeboye Estate.
Great War Trail
The tower took on an unforeseen poignancy after the battle of the Somme in 1916. The land around the tower had been used as a training camp by the 36th (Ulster) Division prior to their embarkation from Belfast for France and for those soldiers Helen’s Tower would have been a lasting image as they sailed out of Belfast Lough. For this reason, a replica was built in Thiepval through public subscription in memory those from Ulster who lost their lives in the Great War. The Thiepval Tower was dedicated on 19 November 1921 and was inscribed with a slightly altered version Lord Alred Tennyson’s original poetic dedication or Helen’s Tower.