The grounds merge into the 18th century park
Grey Abbey House was built in 1762 and is the third house to be built on the site overlooking Strangford Lough where the Montgomery family has lived for more than four hundred years. Its architecture, history and setting make it one of the most important and beautiful privately owned country houses in Ulster. The gardens have been restored in the last twenty-five years and include fine herbaceous borders, a southern-hemisphere garden with emphasis on Chilean plants, a walled kitchen garden and Irish apple orchard. The grounds merge into the 18th century park, which sweeps down to the ruins of the Cistercian Abbey.
Opening hours: By prior arrangement.
Facilities: The Hall with its unusual cantilevered dividing staircase, the Blue Dining Room, the Music Room, Strawberry Hill Gothic Drawing Room, bedrooms and stableyard are exclusively available for architectural, historical, and horticultural groups of not less than 20 persons. These groups may visit the house and gardens by prior arrangement when morning coffee, lunch, tea or dinner can be provided if desired. Prices available on request. A tour of the Cistercian Abbey may also be included in the visit.
Directions: 7 miles from Newtownards on the A20 Road to Portaferry.
Languages spoken by staff: Italian and French
Disabled access and facilities: No access for disabled.