These ruined churches are situated one and a half miles north east of Portaferry
These two ruined churches are situated one and a half miles north east of Portaferry on the A2 Cloghey Road and are signposted from Portaferry. There is written evidence of pre-Norman ecclesiastical activity at the site associated with St. Cumman (see also St Cooey’s Wells), and there was a chapel here in 1302-1306. Evidence dates these two small churches to the 10th or 11th-century. Excavations at the churches uncovered Early Christian period occupation and a cemetery of stone-built graves under the churches. An earlier stone and wood building, which was possibly a church was also uncovered. A small early cross-carved stone is set in the larger church and may be viewed. Access is by a gate at the roadside and along a fenced path. There is a small signpost at the entrance.
Open all year.
Admission is free.