Part of the Great Wars Trail
There are many memorials across the Borough commemorating those who died in both wars, as well as individual servicemen’s graves. Some of the finest public memorials include:
• The gun from a First World War German U-boat in Bangor’s Ward Park (presented in honour of Barry Bingham VC)
• The statue of much decorated, Second World War SAS leader Blair Mayne in Conway Square, Newtownards
• A commemoration of the soldiers killed at the airfield, Court Square, Newtownards
• War Memorials in Comber Square, Redburn Square (Holywood), and Donaghadee
• A Holocaust Memorial Garden which can be seen at the entrance to Millisle Primary School.