Part of the Great Wars Trail
Clandeboye Estate, home of Dufferin and Ava family and Clandeboye House.
During the First World War it was known as Clandeboye Camp with the grounds a used as a training camp by the 36th (Ulster) Division prior to their embarkation from Belfast for France and the Somme.
Within the estate is Helen's Tower (see seperate listing) of which a replica was built in Thiepval through public subscription in memory those from Ulster who lost their lives in the Great War. The Thiepval Tower was dedicated on 19 November 1921 and was inscribed with a slightly altered version Lord Alred Tennyson’s original poetic dedication or Helen’s Tower.